Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hello, My Name Is....

Have you ever worn one of those tags? Absolutely useless.

I've had this idea for awhile that we all ought to wear one of those tags, but instead of having our name on it, it should say "Hello, my name is Amy.
I'm an Atheist
I'm against a Constitutional Amendment to ban gay marriage
I have many conservative viewpoints, but I'm a Liberal
I loathe violations of civil rights
It pisses me off that I have to "press 1 for English"
I love vodka, love to swear and love to shake my groove thing

If everyone would wear a tag like this, we could avoid a lot of bullshit. Granted, I have a couple of friends that I wouldn't be friends with had I known some things about them in advance that I know about them now. But for the most part, I choose the people with whom I surround myself based on a few criteria.

By wearing a tag like this at a social gathering, I and those around me could immediately rule out the riff-raff. "Hello, my name is Bubba and I'm an ex-con who likes my beer cold and my women warm" would automatically get ruled out as a potential Scrabble mate.

Besides which, my husband never remembers names. I think he would however remember you if your tag said, "Hello, my name is Sandy and I like cupcakes, 4-wheeling and men who wear any pant size over a 36."

Maybe I would change my tag depending on my particular mood. Sometimes I'm in the mood to meet people with whom I can actually carry on a conversation. Sometimes I just want to meet someone who likes to let down their proverbial hair and throw back a few with me.

At this point in my life, my tag would just read, "Hello, my name is Amy and I'm desperately seeking human contact."

Uh...on second thought...I'll skip that.

No comments: