Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Proceed With Caution


A realization just hit me. I've been censoring myself. Damn it!

When I started this blog, it was a vehicle (a cute little lavender diesel VW bug) for me to vent a little, journal a little, shoot off my loud mouth a little, etc. No one even knew I existed out here in Cyberland.

Then, somehow it seemed that overnight, a few people were reading what I was writing. Some of these people were strangers, some were extended family and some were in-laws. Without noticing, I began to self-censor what I was writing.

Don't get me wrong here. Self-censorship is the only censorship I think should exist. But, I was not writing certain things...like swear words...because I knew that some of the people reading might be offended.

Last night as I was laying in bed going through my usual ritual of trying to sleep but failing to do so before Mr. Right started his nightly freight train impressions, I was thinking about my blog (This is a strange new malady I've been struck with) and the censoring thereof, and suddenly remembered that my original blog post was a caveat of sorts. I believe I actually warned any possible future readers that I'm a loud mouth who likes to swear. I think it also contained a warning about my religious and political views. It was kind of a warning label, a buyer beware.

So, I'm uncensoring myself. In a way. I still will attempt to not write anything that I feel would personally hurt someone but can't quite help it if someone finds something in what I write that is offensive. I gotta be me!!

So, off we go. Feel free to come along for the ride. (Bring a cocktail or two. I'm not really driving.)